Event 1








For event one I went to the Torrance Art Museum, which is a local museum near my home. The museum is comprised of two gallery spaces, with exhibits that change every few months. The exhibits on display were Co/Lab III in the main gallery, and Dreams and Fevers in the second gallery. Co/Lab III is a collaborative project that had art of all kinds of mediums, from digital, to painting to sculpture. There was one work that used tape and ribbons to draw a picture on the wall, which likely needed to use a scale conversion to create, which incorporated math. There was also a work that involved multiple screens, all playing a similar video, which was slightly distorted. There were a few pieces that showed light being manipulated, likely through long exposure photography. There were also a few sculptures with material that had reflective properties, so the light would bounce off them in various colors. A lot of these works involved math or science in some aspect, and if I had viewed this exhibit without the knowledge I gained from this course, I likely would not have seen the work through the same lens as I had.

 The Dreams and Fevers exhibit showcased a collection of paintings from various artists, which all had similar themes. Each work had a sort of dreamlike quality to them, and some almost seemed to represent nightmares, or more hectic scenarios.
Overall I was pleased with my experience at this gallery. The art I saw was mostly done by artists from southern California, which was interesting to me because typically in larger museums you see artists from all over the world, and from varying generations, so I have not been exposed to much art created by those that live near me. I would definitely recommend visiting this space, as it has some interesting work, and the exhibits are always changing (and it is free!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Cultures Blog Post